I am an avid fan of Amazing Race and I am so glad that my favorite duo in all seasons of the show is back on TV. Totally insane Mirna and full of energy with such a small built Charla from Season 5 has joined the race again for the all-star edition. They were my favorite because there would be episodes that you would hate the two and the next episode you would love them back.
Season 5 edition was sooo fun and entertaining to watch because of these two crazy ladies. I particularly liked Charla. She has some form of dwarfism (only 4 feet tall) and is so funny yet inspiring. I liked her because she never let her very short height be an impediment throughout the race. She can actually be a bitch if she needs to.
Though she has short legs and can’t run fast like her competitors, she made use of it as an advantage by hilariously duping people that she is sick and needs a doctor just to get a plane seat and be ahead in the race. The vertically challenged lady is so determined to win. I also remember her carrying a big slob of carcass (even bigger than her, I think) because her lanky “maarte-funny-kinda-way” partner Marla could no longer carry it for another half mile to complete a challenge.
I felt so sad and awful when the duo got eliminated in the Season 5 of the race. Even the unflappable Phil (the host) got so teary eyed for he himself was moved on what Charla told him:
“I just wanted to prove to the world how much I can do, and it’s not easy when there’s… always people thinking you can’t do it and you have to work extra hard to do it… (but) you have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams.”
After such a heartwarming speech when she was bidding goodbye, I can still recall Phil with tears in his eyes saying to Charla… “You have an amazing spirit.”
Now that they’re back, I’m totally rooting for this duo…
It’s the year of the Fire Pig which according to Chinese calendar comes only every after 60 years! Unlike the western calendar, I did not prepare for it. Honestly, I am so confused with the Chinese custom of how and what to set up on the eve and first day of the new lunar year so as to have a promising and auspicious whole year. You would probably go broke if you would buy all the lucky charms that the Chinese belief dictates.
As far as the first day of the Chinese New Year is concerned, all I did today was do my usual Sunday ritual, i.e., do the laundry, iron a mountain of clothes, shine my shoes, clean my bathroom, attend a Sunday Mass and watch a lot of TV.
Basta bahala na si Batman! Kung Hei Fat Choy!
It’s the time of the year when people are thinking of what unique gift to offer his or her loved one this coming Valentines. For sure roses, balloons, diamond rings, chocolates and strawberries will have sky rocketing prices. Might as well have fun with some customized ideas to give your special someone that will make this year’s Valentines a memorable one:
- Instead of blanketing your loved one’s room with balloons and roses, might as well fill her room with durian fruits and tell her you placed a diamond ring in one of it.
- Instead of giving a necklace with your loved one’s initials on the pendant, try cutting out the full name from belekoy candies sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
- Giving strawberries and chocolates on Valentines is so western, why not personally bake a kamias cake and served it ala mode with bagoong balayan swirl
- Surprising your partner with a red-colored and heart-shaped bukayo for dessert from your bag of goodies after a hearty dinner on Valentines will surely win your partner’s affection.
Election season is on! Senate race is heating up! This early, Pinoys are contemplating on whom are they going to vote when they exercise their right to suffrage come election date. For me, I have yet to list down my selected candidates for the senate. But for sure the following candidates will have difficulty to be included in my list:
- Trapos (traditional politicians) vying for reelection. These politicians have gone surprisingly rich during their term in the government and no way would I allow them to get richer. Besides, some candidates wanting to be reelected are already geriatric cases who rarely spend a day in their respective offices. Enough with the trapos please.
- Kin of politicians. These are candidates who would ride along the popularity of their names and their relatives. I simply abhor political dynasties!
It’s creepy to imagine if these dynasties will be elected in the senate. It’s like four families controlling the lives of 90 million Pinoys:
Pia Cayetano and her brother Alan Peter Cayetano
Tessie Oreta Aquino and her nephew Noynoy Aquino
Loi Ejercito and son Jinggoy Estrada with half-brother JV Ejercito
Nene Pimentel and son Koko Pimentel
- Showbiz personalities. You don’t need to be a whiz kid to know that acting on movies and being a news anchor on TV are totally different from the demands of public service and/or writing a law.
Until now, I can’t still stomach the fact that “saling-pusa” Lito Lapid and the playboy Bong Revilla are senators. Former senator and now vice-president Noli De Castro could not even pronounce the word “special” correctly considering that he was a news anchor. He would pronounce it as “espeyshal”. It gives me goose bumps to envision brainless arrogant Senator Richard Gomez having a scuffle with the equally dim-witted Senator Jinggoy Estrada inside the senate house! Yikes!
If these folks are elected, I guess we are…